As many of you are already aware, the CT General Assembly passed the Time's Up Act to prevent sexual harassment effective October 1st, 2019. This Act applies to all employers in CT. There is a posting notice component that needs to be in place by October 1st, 2019 (and a training and education component to be completed at a later date - we'll keep you updated with some solutions as that date gets closer).
All employers are required to post that Sexual Harassment is Illegal and that include the remedies if someone is harassed (a poster provided by CHRO is available below) by October 1, 2019.
Further Reading & Sexual Harassment Prevention Resources
In the 2019 legislative session, the Connecticut General Assembly passed and the Governor signed Public Acts 19-16
, which together constitute the Time's Up Act.
Among other changes to the CHRO process, this legislation establishes new rules and requirements regarding sexual harassment training and education. These provisions and requirements go into effect October 1, 2019. The language, which applies to employers which have three or more employees
- Employers will be required to provide to a new employee a copy of information regarding the illegality of sexual harassment and remedies available to victims.
- Employers must provide two hours of training and education to new employees hired on or after October 1, 2019 within six months of their start date.
- Employers must provide all existing employees with two hours of training by October 1, 2020.
- Employers with fewer than three employees must provide two hours of training and education to all existing supervisory employees by October 1, 2020 or within six months to new supervisory employees.
- Employers must provide periodic supplemental training not less than every ten years.
The Time's Up Act requires the CHRO to post information concerning sexual harassment and remedies available. The CHRO is currently in the process of developing and updating these materials and will make them available as they are completed.
Stay tuned for more information; we'll keep you up to date as we receive it.